Ok, so I’ll be honest, my family can’t live off of vegetables to save their lives. But, these marinated, glazed Vegetable skewers are the BEST way to introduce veggies in their meals, as sides of course. These skewers add that healthy punch to my menus, and not to mention that vibrant color they bring to the table. You can whip ’em up as sides, appetizers or just have it with boiled rice directly!
Things I love about this dish:
- Low calorie but packed with flavor
- Healthy food so pretty much what I want for days when I am watching what I eat
- Tastes so good, I would eat it regardless of its health plus points
- Super easy to make, beginner cooks would have no issues
- Literally ready in 15 mins! so I would say pretty quick too
It is pretty hard to make my family eat healthy. With the exception of Tangy Lentil Oats, Chicken Oats kebabs, and now these Skewers, I have to improvise every frikkin time I want them to eat better. Anywhooooo, here we go with the steps.
This recipe is honestly so easy, that I really don’t need to explain anything, but I am going to post a few pictures of the steps for you guys to see.
I used tomatoes, potatoes, capsicum and onions for this recipe. But, by all means feel free to experiment and add any vegetables that you like more.
Oh, but I didn’t want to grill my skewers for very long, so I boiled my potatoes for 2 mins after I chopped them.
PRO TIP: Boil your potatoes with salt and vinegar. The vinegar will help your potatoes to remain firm even if you over boil them by mistake.
And then you just toss all the veggies in a bowl and marinate them in all the spices given in the recipe card.
Now you thread them on to sticks. I used tooth picks because I was serving this as a side. You can obviously chose to use longer barbecue skewers.
You can grill them in a grill pan or a non stick pan with a little bit of butter or oil.
While they are on the pan, I glaze them with this sweet and sour sauce. It tastes so good I tell you! If you don’t have this sauce on hand, I’ve add the recipe to make your own sauce at home in the recipe card below.
Glazing your vegetable skewers while they are ON the pan, allows the glaze to cook a bit as well, which is what we are going for in this recipe. That slightly burnt glaze gives that awesome texture these skewers have. And that’s it! You are done.
I absolutely love serving these with Greek yogurt, when I serve them as an appetizer. Oh, and they go so well when you pair them as a side with this Chicken Malai Boti Pulao.
Easy Sweet and Sour Vegetable Skewers
Healthy Veggie sticks recipe
- 2 medium tomatoes cut in squares
- 1 large potato cut in cubes
- 1 large bell pepper cut in squares
- 1 large onion cut in squares
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp black pepper powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- Oil or butter for grilling
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tsp ketchup
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- Combine all the ingredients for the sauce and form a uniform mixure. Set aside
- Boil the cut up potatoes for 2 minutes in 1 tsp salt and 1 tbsp vinegar
- Drain the water from potatoes and allow them to cool down.
- Toss all the cut up vegetables in a bowl.
- Add seasoning to the vegetables and mix them well
- Thread the vegetables on to sticks or skewers
- Turn on a grill pan at medium to high flame and add the skewers on the pan.
- While on the pan, glaze the skewers with the sweet and sour sauce and turn them around once or twice and remove. Grill them for a total of about 2 to 3 minutes only. Over grilling them can make the vegetable too soft.
Lovely recipe, I need to try this. This is great for boosting immunity. Thanks for sharing.
ohh didn’t think of it as an immunity booster up until now! thanx love!
Thanks for sharing such beautiful information with us. I hope you will share some more information about sweet sour vegetables.Please keep sharing.
Health Is A Life
Thankyou Ankita! I will try my best to oblige 🙂