So me and my husband have phases where we go from total health nuts to absolute Junk food addicts. But lately, we’ve found a balance where we try to have at least one healthy meal in a day! These low-carb chicken and vegetable kebabs are like my no. 1 go to recipe for a couple of reasons.
First and foremost of course because they are healthy! I am not going to downplay this attribute because trust me! I have a VERY limited number of things that are healthy and agreeable to the taste buds in my house! So this for me, is a very big win!
Secondly, I can prepare these kebabs ahead of time and freeze them. So on days when I don’t feel like cooking, these beauties are absolute saviors! Time saving recipes always sit well with me!
Another reason why I want you guys to try this one out is…..look how EASY! This is literally one of those beginner level recipes that even someone who hasn’t had much kitchen experience can complete without any supervision!
And the final reason why I love making this low-carb recipe so much is the versatility baby! Like they go so well with everything! I mean I’ve made burgers and wraps with them, I’ve had them with daal and roti. I have even used these as a side for main rice dishes. Heck, I’ve even whipped them up for a high-tea. Bottom line, when you have a recipe that works in every occasion! You HAVE to share it! So here goes!
So the vegetables I used are very basic like bell peppers, onions and carrots. But by all means feel free to experiment and add any other vegetable that you like. I just chop everything in a chopper except for tomatoes.
TIP: Tomatoes tend to become mushy in a chopper, hence avoid putting them in. Instead, opt for chopping them by a knife.
MIXING THINGS UP!
You literally have to just mix all the ingredients and let it rest for 5 to 10 mins! That’s all there is to preparing these kebabs!
Resting these kebabs for 5 to mins gives the bread crumbs enough time to absorb all the moisture from the chicken and vegetables and makes your mixture a little sturdy. So I usually cover up the kebabs and give the bread crumbs around 10 minutes to work their magic.
YOU FLATTER ME!
So once you are done with the mixing and the resting, you’ve reached your final prep stage! You are going to drop heaped tablespoons of the kebab mixture onto an oiled wax sheet. Then just take some oil on your fingers or oil a back of the spoon and flatten out the kebabs. Pop them in the freezer for a bit, around 30 minutes to make them firm and voila!
Now you can either grill them up straight away or pack them in a ziplock bag for future use! Some of my friends bake these good boys too (they are healthy! Iam not calling them bad boys ok!) but I personally prefer the grilled version more.
RECIPE CARD FOR LOW-CARB CHICKEN AND VEGETABLE KEBABS
Low Carb Chicken & Veggie Kebabs
- 1 chopper
- 400 gm chicken mince
- 3 tbsp rolled oats
- 2 tbsp bread crumbs
- 1/2 tsp black pepper powder
- 1 tsp cumin seeds or zeera
- 2 tsp crushed red chilli
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 1 whole bell pepper chopped
- 1 big onion chopped
- 1 medium carrot chopped
- 1 or 2 stalks green onions
- 1 whole tomato chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 inch piece of ginger
- 1 large egg
- Oil for frying
- Start by adding carrot, bell pepper, onion, garlic, ginger in a chopper and chop coarsely.
- Chop tomato and green onions coarsely and seperately (not in chopper)
- In a bowl, add minced chicken, oats, chopped vegetables and tomatoes and green onions.
- Add all the seasoning, beaten egg and bread crumbs.
- Mix all the ingredients and cover it. Leave it for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Now line a tray with butter paper or wax sheet and coat it with oil.
- Drop heaped tablespoons of the mixture on the wax sheet 2 inches apart (similar to cookies)
- Put oil on the back of a spoon or your finger and flatten the mixture to form kebabs.
- Freeze them for half an hour or until firm.
- Fry the kebabs in a nonstick fry pan at medium flame until the edges turn brown or bake it in an over at 180°C for 15 mins or until brown.
- Serve hot with any dip of your choice