EASY BBQ CHICKEN FAJITA RECIPE
I don’t know about you guys, but new recipes in our house are scrutinized with x-ray vision and laser beams before they are passed. This BBQ chicken fajita was thankfully cleared by all the scrutineers and have now become a weekend favorite! Naturally I had to share the recipe with you lot.
This easy BBQ chicken fajita recipe takes 30 minutes or less to make! Your dinner is sorted within half an hour. Plus it is a complete meal, with fiber, protein, carbs and fats! The BBQ sauce and sour cream together gives this one a real nice unique sweet and sour flavor, that works beautifully with the chicken and the veggies.
Let me walk you through the recipe with some pictures, or you could click the jump button to go for the printable recipe directly.
PART 1: CHICKEN MARINATION AND GRILLING
So as the name itself implies, chicken marination has BBQ sauce in it. American Garden is my favorite brand of BBQ sauce so far, but you can chose whichever one you have at hand. The marination includes a little bit of white pepper and sriracha sauce to bring the heat, and soy sauce and vinegar to balance out all the flavors. Add salt according to your taste because all of these sauces have some amount of salt in them.
I’ve used boneless chicken cut up in little strips. Chicken cut up in strips work best for wraps. You can also use a whole breast and cut the chicken up later after grilling.
When you have marinated the chicken, prepare the grill pan with oil or spray oil. I am using a non-stick ceramic pan to grill these ladies. Grill the chicken at high flame. This will prevent your chicken from getting tough and will seal the juices in.
I personally do them somewhere in between, just a little grilled charred texture, not too much. So once this is done, set your chicken aside and move on to the next step.
PART 2: PREPPING VEGETABLES
Here comes the color! I’ve used onions, julienne cut carrots and 3 types of bell peppers. You can even add mushrooms to this veggie pile if you like.
These vegetables are sauteed at high flame in 1 tbsp oil. I did add some black pepper, white pepper and salt to season them while sauteing.
The grilling takes about 5 minutes in which your veggies will lose water and get slightly charred from the outside. And that takes care of your second part of the recipe.
PRO-TIP: Always grill vegetables at a high flame so that they don’t get soggy when cooked and retain their crunch.
PART 3: ASSEMBLING THE WRAPS.
After doing the core elements, we move on to assembling the wrap!
I used the tortilla wraps in the picture, which only required me to grill them both sides and they were ready. You should follow the instructions on the packet of tortillas that you buy to see how to prepare them. Or use this recipe to make them at home if you want.
Other than the chicken and the vegetables, I added the following elements to my tortilla wraps.
- Some more raw cut up onions.
- Chopped up iceberg lettuce
- BBQ sauce
- Sour cream.
And that’s it! You’ve done it! If you are throwing a tortilla party, just keep all the elements on the table and let your guests make their own tortillas! I would loveeee that kinda party!
MAKE THIS MEAL COMPLETELY HEALTHY
I know most of us are on our way to making healthier choices, you can make this dish totally healthy by just making a few simple alterations to the recipe
- Go for whole wheat tortillas or better yet, make one at home.
- Opt for low sodium soy sauce
- Go for a sugar free all organic BBQ sauce.
- Use coconut oil for grilling the chicken and veggies.
- Add more vegetables if you like.
EASY BBQ CHICKEN FAJITA RECIPE
- 250 gm boneless chicken cut in strips
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 1 tbsp sriracha sauce
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 2 tbsp BBQ sauce + 2 tbsp for assembly
- 1/4 tsp salt or to taste
- 1 carrot julienne cut
- 2 onions sliced
- 1 green bell pepper sliced
- 1/2 red pepper sliced
- 1/2 yellow pepper sliced
- 1 packet store brought tortilla wraps
- 4 tbsp sour cream
- 1 cup chopped ice berg
- Marinate the chicken in soy sauce, vinegar, siracha sauce, bbq sauce and white pepper, along with a little salt if needed.(be careful as all these sauces have salt in them)
- Keep the marinated chicken in the fridge for a bit or grill them directly.
- In a non stick frying pan, or a grill pan, add 1 to 2 tbsp oil and grill the chicken for 5 to 6 at high flame.
- When the water dries up and your chicken has got its color, remove the chicken and set it aside
- In a the same grill pan, add another tbsp of oil and grill the bell peppers, carrots and half the onions at high flame.
- Season the veggies with salt, black pepper and white pepper while they cook.
- In 5 to 6 minutes, the water from the veggies would have dried up and they would be done.
- Remove the veggies from the pan and set aside
- Prepare your tortillas according to the instructions on your packet.
- Add chicken and grilled vegetables to your tortilla
- Add chopped ice berg lettuce, left over raw onions to it.
- Finish with adding bbq sauce and sour cream to the tortilla or serve it separately with the wrap.
- Close the tortilla and enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 270 Total Fat: 9g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 63mg Sodium: 600mg Carbohydrates: 26g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 8g Protein: 22g
If you liked this, click here to try Chicken tikka sandwich recipe on our blog